Are you a senior? Is the prospect of downsizing and moving from a home you’ve lived in for 30 plus years a daunting prospect that’s holding you back from your next transition? It doesn’t have to, trust me….
I know what a comfort it can be to be live with your well-loved possessions that surround you in your home. A collection of knick knacks, a well-used set of mixing bowls, the display cabinets… you name it! In each room, a quick glance will highlight our favorite things…..and trigger the stories behind them…..not to mention the relationships.
Often it is this emotional tug of our “stuff” that can holds seniors back on moving to the next step, the new location.
Good news, the stories are still there, with or without the “stuff”, and those favoured relationships and the memories of them will not disappear once you pare down your household contents.
To start winning this tug-of-war between your “stuff” and a senior move…try picturing-the-positive. I’ve seen with my clients that it is helpful to view ourselves in the future. And when thinking about downsizing to a smaller home or senior residence, consider what may be some positive features:
- No hassle of preparing the 3-meals-a-day-routine
- No more major repairs and house maintenance to do yourself, or try to get done
- Less day-to-day hassles to handle on your own…
- Yes to visiting guests in the senior residence dining room, and no dishes!
- Yes to a staff in place to “serve your needs”; the prospect of new friends
- Yes to feeling safe and secure, for you and your adult children…
- Yes to a new kind of freedom….
If you’re ready for a senior move, or just starting to think of one ……please contact me for a no-obligation, 100% confidential consultation….I await your call and/or email. Looking forward to taking the “ouch” out of your upcoming move! For you and those who care about you…
If you are looking for a senior residence in the Greater Montreal area, consider contacting a Lodging Consultant for seniors, such as the company: Gerontologis.